Eating and getting the right nutrition during pregnancy is hard, between nausea, morning sickness, food aversions and fatigue.
Many pregnant women are struggling to get the right nutrients they need.
I understand it’s probably pretty tough to eat healthy meals right now.
You may be wondering if protein shakes are safe to consume during pregnancy.
It is actually super beneficial to have protein shakes during pregnancy. As long as they are high quality and safe for you and the baby. Most of them are not.
Today, I want to share some tips on what to look for when buying a protein shake. Especially if you are drinking protein shakes during pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
Please make sure before you add anything to your pregnancy diet, that you consult with your doctor.
I can tell you after working with over 250,000 pregnant ladies for the past decade; doctors are happy that you get extra protein, vitamins and nutrients via protein shakes.
Most pregnant women are giving into their cravings eating fast food or pre-packaged foods. These are foods that are “unhealthier” than a protein shake. Lol.
Nutrition Requirements During Pregnancy
Most pregnant women don’t realize is that there are increased requirements of vitamins and nutrients needed during pregnancy. Most of the baby’s growth and development rely on nutrients and vitamins.
During pregnancy the protein requirements need to be increased. Because the baby’s brain, tissues and organs need protein to grow and develop.
Which is why I want to talk about PROTEIN SHAKES today.
Because I know that you are most likely struggling to eat more eggs and turkey and chicken and fish….
Having the option to have a protein shake as a meal or snack is a great option.
If you pick the right one, you get added vitamins.
Winner winner chicken dinner 🙂
Before I tell you what to look for in a protein shake…
Here are a few reasons why protein shakes are a great idea for you.
- Food aversions make it difficult to eat enough protein and nutrients because you can’t stomach the food.
- You are getting tons of cravings and indulging in unhealthy snacks.
- Struggling to get enough good nutrients and calories because of a decrease in appetite.
- The doctor wants you to eat more, because you are not reaching your calorie intake.
- You have morning or all-day sickness and it‘s hard to eat enough.
- Afraid eating the same thing every day will not provide enough nutrients and vitamins to support your pregnancy and baby.
- You need to increase your protein but can’t eat more chicken.
- You don’t have time to make or eat healthy snacks.
- You don’t have time to make breakfast in the mornings and a quick shake would be a life saver.
Remember, food is always #1.
If you are able to get to food, then that is priority. Sometimes, you may not be able to eat or make a snack. Your next best bet is a good quality protein shake.
What To Look for in a Protein Powder
- Cold Pressed protein powders offer a higher quality of protein.
- Protein: The first ingredient listed under ingredients is in descending order or abundance. (At least 20g).
- Has all 9 essential amino acids.
- Doesn’t have artificial flavors or sweeteners.
- Stevia and Monk Fruit are good.
- Doesn’t have a long list of ingredients that you can’t even pronounce.
- Sugar content should be very low.
- Bonus if medical grade.
- A small amount of carbs to use as a meal replacement, which also helps to curb hunger and cravings.
- Has added high quality vitamins in it.
It is hard to find good quality ingredients as most companies’ mass produce and are not able to use high quality ingredients.
Pregnancy is the time when you want to go the extra mile. You want to make sure everything you put in your body is good because your baby is getting it too.
This is why I partnered with a doctor to formulate mPower, the best protein powder for pregnancy.
The only pregnancy protein powder in the market doctor formulated with all 9 essential amino acids and a medical grade multi-vitamin in it. A cold pressed protein powder and has no artificial anything. Contains the perfect ratio of protein to carbs that it can be used as a meal replacement.
Plus, it is the most delicious protein powder you have ever tried.
Its silky smooth, not clumpy, no after taste and tastes like a Mc Donalds Vanilla Ice Cream Shake.
Check out what other pregos have to say about mPower! Plus, all the other benefits of it and bonuses you get with it.
You are gonna obsess over it and you can use it while breastfeeding too.
Heck, I had my last child 8 years ago and I still have it.
You can even make delicious milk making lactation smoothies! Check out this post for my favorite smoothie to boost milk supply.
There is so much that you can do with mPower, check out this video for the best pregnancy protein smoothie for breakfast.