Who doesn’t love brownies? Coming from a chocolate lover myself, I am so excited that I can enjoy a brownie without a ton of calories.
And let me tell you something my friends, because I hope this motivates you to make some of the healthy snack recipes I have been posting. If you have some of these DELICIOUS, yet HEALTHY snacks ready in your fridge, next time you have a “craving”, you can eat one of them without eating a ton of calories and then feeling horrible about yourself.
Making snacks like these healthy black bean brownies, can really help you eat cleaner, stay on track, and get better results. I know its really helped me! Being a chocolate lover, on the weekends I always felt the “NEED” to eat a chocolate chip cookie or something chocolate for my “Free” or “Cheat” meal. But now that I have all of these snacks available, I NEVER EVER have them anymore. I actually like my healthy snacks so much better.
I went to church yesterday and I gave some of the people backstage a taste of these healthy brownies and they couldn’t believe they were made with black beans.
Whats the chocolate?
Well, its COCOA POWDER.
A lot of people think cocoa powder is full of sugar but actually its not!
It actually has 0 grams of sugar…. its pure fiber! Isn’t that great.
By the way, there are tons of health benefits to cocoa powder, I found a great article about it, check it out.
Health Benefits of Organic Raw Cocoa Powder
- It is high in antioxidant-rich phytonutrients. These antioxidants help to kill the fire of free radicals our bodies have.
- Check this out:
- “ORAC is the acronym for “Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity” and is a measure of the potential antioxidant capacity of a food. One tablespoon of cocoa powder has an ORAC of 1400, which give you half of what you need.”
- It has more FLAVANOIDS than any known food, which helps treat and even prevent many diseases. Whats great about this is that the body ABSORBS the flavanoids intactly, which is why cocoa is used as medicine.
- High in copper and magnesium which is usually lacking in the body.
- There is a wide array of chemicals in cocoa that cause euphoria, including phenyethlamine (PEA), serotonin, tyramine and anandamide. So it can act as an ANTI-DEPRESSANT.
- Helps reduce ANXIETY and boosts MOOD.
Ok, I hope this helps you see that a little brownie once in a while is good for you, well, brownies like these.
By the way, there are tons other great Healthy & Gluten-Free snacks in My Pinterest Boards that use cocoa powder, so check them out.
And you know whats really good, is adding a tad bit of cocoa powder to CHILI. There are a bunch of yummy,healthy and easy to make chili recipes in my Eat To Be Fit Healthy Recipes Book, so check it out.
Protein Black Bean Brownies
- 1 – 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened organic cocoa powder (from whole foods)
- 1/4 cup almond butter (365 Organic Creamy from Whole Foods)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup Stevia in the raw
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3–4 tbsp gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate chips (I use Dream Chocolate Chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor, except chocolate chips.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pour batter into a greased (With coconut oil spray) 8 x 8 baking dish and bake for ~ 25 minutes or until done.
Adapted this recipe from Green Plate Rule
So, do you ever use cocoa powder? Which one do you use? What do you use it for?
Do you like brownies?
Whats your favorite “cheat snack”.