I wake up at 4am Monday through Friday. Ugh… I know, its tough!
But I do everything I possibly can the night before that can cut me some time in the morning. So I usually lay my clothes out, put my vitamins out, refill my water bottle, put my bag in the entrance with keys, pack my snacks for the next day and make my breakfast.
Sometimes I just put some oatmeal, coconut sugar and cinnamon in a coffee mug with a spoon and call it a day. I just add water in the morning, heat it up and eat it up in the car. But the other day I got a great package of goodies from Bob’s Red Mill to play with, and in it was some Steel Cut Oats. I love them, but I don’t make them often because I don’t have time to slave over the stove.
But as I was doing some online research I found some great recipes and ran into this one which I adapted it a tad like this cuz it was already so good, and boy oh boy is it deelish. No slaving over the stove, no cooking at 4am, healthy carbs, protein, and deelish. What more can you ask for in the morning?
I also have great healthy protein pancake recipes and muffins on my Pinterest Boards, so make sure to go there now and “follow all” so that you can have access to all the recipes.
One of my favorite recipes is my “Apple Egg White Pancakes” from My Eat To Be Fit Healthy Recipes Book. Its ridiculously good and so easy to make. That and a cup of coffee and you are in healthy heaven!
Ok, enough, here is the recipe.
- 2 1/4 cup steel cut oats (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (I use Prograde)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed1 tsp vanilla, coconut, maple or almond extract
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use Dream Almond, Coconut, Chia Milk)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup freeze dried blueberries, strawberries or raspberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup dairy, gluten-free chocolate chips (Dream NonDairy)
- 1/4 cup carob chips
- 1/4 cup fresh berries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix all the dry ingredients (first 5 ingredients).
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients (banana through applesauce).
- Then mix dry into wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in any of the topping or filling ingredients or use them just as topping or both.
- Bake fro 30 minutes or until done.
I am so ecstatic about these. They are the perfect on-the-go healthy breakfast. I love that they are so versatile and that you can add many flavors in one batch so you can have a different flavor everyday. And they take so little time to make. They are simply perfect.
I hope you try these and let me know if you make any changes. I love to hear from you and I love to get your ideas. Lets share some great recipes. And please feel free to go to My Facebook Page and post pictures of any of my recipes that you try.