I find that most people “eat bad” or “over eat” because they let too many hours go by without eating.
So I want to give you some super easy and quick healthy snack ideas that you can have because I know that more than half the battle is figuring what to eat.
But first, I need you to understand why eating snacks in between meals is so important.
If you know just why its so important, there will be a greater chance of you following through.
Reasons why SNACKING is so important.
1. Controls insulin levels:
I’ve told you this before. If you let too many hours go by without eating, you have LOW BLOOD SUGAR. That will cause your body to crave sugar at which point it’s incredibly hard to have will power, and your body only craves the bad stuff.
2. Gives you sustained energy all day long
3. Burn fat more effectively:
When you can control blood sugar by keeping it stable, then insulin doesn’t shoot up causing your fat cell releasing hormone (glucagon) to be suppressed.
If you don’t release fat cells, you can’t burn them.
Eating often allows you to never get those low blood sugar levels.
4. You won’t store fat for reserves:
Your body won’t feel the need to reserve fuel sources (as fat storage) because it knows its getting some energy (calories/food) every few hours. When you only eat a few hours a day, your body will try to protect itself from not having fuel by reserving or storing it. NO BUENO!
Hopefully that is enough to make you see how important it is for you to have snacks in between meals.
It’s also really helps to control hunger, which makes it a lot easier to eat healthy.
You basically want to pair the following foods:
- Protein + Healthy Fat
- Protein + Carb
- Protein + Veggie
- Healthy Fat + Veggie
- Healthy Fat + Low Carb-Carb (rice cake)
- Make sure to eat a snack in between breakfast and lunch and in between lunch and dinner.
- Make sure to eat every 3-4 hours.
- Snacks should be a small portion.
- I would do higher carb snacks for mid morning and lower carb snacks mid afternoon.
- You can also vary that depending on your energy expenditure.
- If you are more active in the evening, you may want to do you higher carb snack mid afternoon.
- A lot of this is about learning what works for you and your body.
- So trial and error is key.
- Try different things and see what works.
Quick & Easy Healthy Snack Ideas
- Fruit (preferably a non-tropical fruit -high in sugar) &nuts or nut butter.
Example: Apple & almond butter or mandarin and cashews
- Raw veggies & nuts or nut butter
Example: Celery & cashew butter or cucumbers and almonds
- Eggs & Avocado
Example: Hard boiled eggs and sliced avocado with s&p or Veggie Omelet or scrambled eggs with avocado mash.
- Leftover Lettuce Wraps
Example: Boston lettuce leaves w drizzle of healthy dressing, avocado and whatever leftover protein you have.
- Plain Greek Yogurt with Scoop of mPower Protein in it.
Example: could be just mixed with water or milk or blended with fruit as a smoothie.
- Leftover Protein with avocado
- Rice Cake with almond butter
- Rice Cake with avocado mash and eggs on top (scrambled, hard-boiled or sunny side up (my fave) + top with Everything but bagel seasoning.
These are just a few simple and easy and no real cooking involved.
I love the healthy baked snacks like protein muffins, oatmeal pancakes, healthy cookies, etc.
There’s tons of recipes on my blog under BLOG- RECIPES.
But if you don’t have time for that, the above are great options.
I like to do a mix of both.
It can feel overwhelming to need to eat so many meals a day.
But it’s not.
The most important thing is to PLAN AHEAD.
On the weekend, write out a bunch of snack ideas you want.
Make a grocery list and include them.
If you need to do any prepping for them, go ahead and do that on the weekend or a day you have a bit more time.
If you plan ahead, it’s actually quite easy.
Hope this helps and hope it makes you be more consistent with eating every few hours and getting your metabolism going, controlling insulin and helping your body burn fat more effectively.
It’s little things like this that make a huge difference.
Once you have the knowledge, you can make better choices.
If you’ve ever tried to lose weight or get in shape, you know that its not just about a diet and a workout cuz how many times have we done that and seen no changes.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
That is why I created Fit Mom For Life.
If you have it, you know!
The amount of tips and strategies in there coupled with a good workout and meal plan (which are also in there), is what will accelerate your results.
If you don’t have it…. it will legit change your life.
It’s by far my best program that I have created.
Check out this video on more tips for weight loss.
Most ladies do it after the BBAPP postpartum program, but its really a program you can use at any stage in your mom life because theres so much content that even if you are pregnant or postpartum, you can do your workouts from FMTB or BBAPP and still get a ton of tips, info, strategies, ideas and results from FMFL.