- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups of brown lentils
- 3–4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 russet potato, chopped (skin on)
- 1 tsp each of coriander and cumin + 1/4 tsp each of coriander and cumin
- s&p to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, and a little stock, sauté the onions, garlic, celery, carrots until done.
- Add in the potatoes and 1 tsp each of spices.
- Cook for a few minutes and then add all the liquid and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and then add the lentils.
- Once it comes to a boil again, put over low heat and the remaining spices, mix well and cover. Let cook until done.