So as some of you may know, as of this post I am 16 weeks pregnant. And sometimes a girl just needs some COMFORT FOOD. Luckily, we can make comfort food healthy. Which is what this delicious Lentil Stew is. Its healthy, so yummy and very comforting.
Lentils are actually really good for you. Check this out.
Health Benefits of Lentils
- Full of Fiber so helps reduce Cholesterol and helps reduce the risk of heart disease.
- High in Protein: 26% of its calories is protein.
- Low in Calories yet makes you feel full.
- Helps stabilize blood sugar.
- Good for your digestive track.
I don’t know why people don’t eat more legumes. Usually people eat bland and boring brown rice and sweet potato for their carbs and never eat legumes which are such a great source of healthy carbs, fiber and protein. And they taste amazing.
I have a section of LEGUME RECIPES in my book Eat To Be Fit. There are over 300 Healthy Recipes in there. And by the way, you can download the E-book version instantly!
Anyhow, I made these lentils and they came out delicious. Both Danny and Nico liked them. And the leftovers are even better.
The boys had it over brown rice and I had it with some sliced avocado on top. Crazy good.
You have to try this healthy recipe.
We had it as a vegetarian dinner with no protein but if you want a protein idea, check out My Pinterest Boards. Theres tons of recipes there too. Like my Healthy Balsamic Chicken, which takes minutes to make, by the way.
Ok, enjoy this!
Healthy Lentil Stew
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups of brown lentils
- 3–4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 russet potato, chopped (skin on)
- 1 tsp each of coriander and cumin + 1/4 tsp each of coriander and cumin
- s&p to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, and a little stock, sauté the onions, garlic, celery, carrots until done.
- Add in the potatoes and 1 tsp each of spices.
- Cook for a few minutes and then add all the liquid and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and then add the lentils.
- Once it comes to a boil again, put over low heat and the remaining spices, mix well and cover. Let cook until done.
Seriously, this healthy recipe is such a good change of pace. Different than the regular chicken, turkey or fish. And its good to have a vegetarian meal once in a while. It gives your digestive track a break and reduces a little inflammation.
So I really hope you try it. Stay tuned on My Facebook Page for more recipes this week.
If you have been making any of my recipes, please go on my Facebook and post pictures. I love to hear from you guys.