Tips For Capturing The Best Pregnancy/Maternity Pictures
Having great pregnancy/maternity pictures is so special.
I still go through both of my maternity pictures of both pregnancies all the time.
It’s such a sweet memory…… Well, I guess it’s sweet if you have a good pregnancy.
I was blessed to have 2 very good pregnancies.
Well, blessed and also I made sure to eat healthy and EXERCISE.
FREE 2-Week Pregnancy Diet Book
Discover what you should be eating to benefit YOUR BABY & SLOW & control your weight gain.
Easy to follow pregnancy specific meal plans, shopping lists, recipe cards and more.
I did my Fit Mom-To-Be Workouts for both my pregnancies.
By exercising I gained NO Excess Weight, which helped me not feel uncomfortable, not have aches and pains, sleep better, look better, be confident………
I have to say that it was well worth investing time and energy into exercising during pregnancy.
I only gained 20 lbs during each pregnancy and I lost it all in less than 3 weeks both times. Check out my postpartum pictures after pregnancy #2.
This was me one week after having Nico (my first).
I hope this inspires you to exercise during your pregnancy. I promise it will be well worth it. Especially in the postpartum stages when most women get postpartum depression and they feel terrible about themselves for months and even years because they still look pregnant and have an incredibly hard time losing the weight.
There are so many benefits to exercising during pregnancy, read a few of them here.
I hope you are eating healthy! I find most doctors don’t educate pregnant women enough about nutrition and diet and thats why most of them gain a ton of weight, feel uncomfortable all pregnancy and can never end up losing the baby weight.
I mean you don’t by any means have to diet. I certainly didn’t and I did allow myself some splurges. I would eat a bagel a week which I normally don’t when I’m not pregnant, I usually stick to oatmeal which I love. But you just have to make GOOD CHOICES. You should want to anyways because everything you are eating now is affecting your little baby. So make good choices girlfriend.
So here is what I’m going to do for you. I’m going to give you a NUTRITION GUIDE with exactly what to eat, all the RECIPES, good SNACK OPTIONS, etc. So that you can get an idea of how you should be eating during your pregnancy so that you can be healthy, be creating the best possible environment for your baby, and so that you don’t gain EXCESS WEIGHT so that you are not super uncomfortable all during pregnancy and feeling huge and self conscious. And so that you can lose all your baby weight fast postpartum.
I made this 2-Week Nutrition Guide to give away for FREE to all my pregos because I work with so many in my Fit Mom-To-Be Workout Program that always have so many NUTRITION questions. So, I figured I would make this in an easy to read, print and follow way to help you take the guesses out of how to eat optimally during your pregnancy.
If you follow it and you EXERCISE, you will not just have a great pregnancy but you will feel CONFIDENT, RADIENT, GLOWING. You won’t be uncomfortable and have aches and pains because you’ve gained so much weight. You will have an easier labor and delivery. You will sleep better, have more energy. And you will seriously decrease your chances of falling into POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION.
I can’t wait for you to get this Nutrition Guide, the recipes are amazing, and there are so many different options for snacks. You are going to love it. Download it here (It’s totally FREE): PREGNANCY NUTRITION GUIDE.
Back to PICTURES………
First I will give you some tips for taking maternity pictures if this is your FIRST PREGNANCY. Then, I will give you some tips if this is your SECOND PREGNANCY and you have a sibling in the pictures.
First Pregnancy Maternity Pictures
1. Spend some time on Pinterest and search “Maternity pictures, Pregnancy pictures, Maternity photos, Pregnancy photos, etc.”. When you find ones you like, PIN then on to a board on your page. I have a really cute board on Pinterest with really great pictures and ideas if you want to go over there and check it out. Actually, I have all kinds of Pregnancy Boards, from Pregnancy Workouts and Diet Tips to Pregnancy Fashion, Nursing, and tons more so head over to My Pinterest Page and be sure to hit LIKE so you can find it again later. Trust me, you will find all kinds of fun stuff to read up on and see about everything that has to do with Pregnancy.
2. One day, pick out 3 “looks” or “outfit” ideas from the pictures you saved and print them out and shop for your outfits. Do not wait until the last minute. You want to be prepared. Make sure you talk to your photographer to make sure she has any props you want or need and if he or she doesn’t have what you want. You can always shop for them, and most of the time you can return them after the shoot.
3. Tell your hubby to give you 5 minutes of his time. Tell him you scheduled the maternity pictures and he is obviously going to be in them. Show him your Pinterest Board and let him know what you expect of him. If there is any particular poses etc, make sure to show him. I wanted some of him kissing my belly so I showed him and that day he was ready. I have found that if you warn the hubby’s before hand, it makes it much easier. They already feel uncomfortable doing all these “corny” poses, so just make sure to tell him how important it is for you to get some really special memories of this pregnancy and what an important and huge part of this memory he is. WARNING: Men do not like to take pictures for a long time. At least mine doesn’t! LOL I could have taken pictures for hours, but a few minutes and he is done. So be sure to tell him to meet you at the location at a certain time in his own car. Start the pictures with him and then tell him he can leave and go have a drink or go home and relax while you finish. Unless he wants to stay.
4. Send your photographer an email or text with all the pictures you like so that she knows what you want and can plan accordingly for the location, props, etc. You can also send her the link to you Pinterest Board so she can see for herself. That’s what I did and that day she actually came with a print out of the pictures and we made sure we got a few of all the pictures I had saved that I liked. This made it so much more time effective and I got all the pictures I wanted. The last thing you want is to go home after the shoot and remember one of the pictures you wanted that you didn’t do. Be organized and you will get every shot you want.
Second Pregnancy Maternity Pictures with Siblings
1. Spend some time on Pinterest and search “Siblings Maternity pictures, Siblings Pregnancy pictures, Siblings Maternity photos, Siblings Pregnancy photos, Siblings Pregnancy Picture Ideas, etc.”. When you find ones you like, PIN then on to a board on your page. There’s tons of siblings pictures on that board I told you about so go over there and check it out.
2. One day, pick out 3 “looks” or “outfit” ideas from the pictures you saved and print them out and shop for your outfits (yours, hubby’s and kids). Do not wait until the last minute. You want to be prepared. Make sure you talk to your photographer to make sure he/she has any props you want or need and if he or she doesn’t have what you want. You can always shop for them, and most of the time you can return them after the shoot.
3. Bring help (other than husband), preferably someone that your kid sees often. Maybe a grandparent, aunt, etc. It’s really hard to keep their attention long enough to get all the shots you want. It’s also really hard to make sure your make up looks good, your outfit, your husband is in place and try to get your kid to smile at the same time. And if your child is like most children, they probably won’t really know the photographer and her telling them to smile isn’t going to do much.
With this, you can also do what my amazing photographer Bianca Blackshaw did. She actually spent the first 10-15 minutes or so just talking to my son and getting to know him and playing with him and making him giggle. That way when it was time to take pictures he was more comfortable and would be more likely to do what she asked.
4. Take a few minutes every day for like a week before your pictures and show your child the pictures of what you are going to do. Let them know often that week before the session that you will be taking pictures because he or she is going to be a big brother or sister and its all about “them”. You want to make sure you get plenty of pictures of him or her kissing the baby and looking at the baby, etc. Make it all about them. Have fun with it. I would ask my son which ones he liked and which ones he wanted to do and I would tell him he was going to look so cute in those pictures. He was only 3 and he totally got it. We went over the pictures so much that Bianca (my photographer) was super impressed. He was like “Bianca how about like this” ….. Strike a pose…… “And how about like this Bianca”…. strike another pose…. She didn’t even need to pull out her little sheet with the pictures (like I mentioned above which you do for this too). He was all over it. He knew exactly what to do so it made it so much easier.
5. A BRIBE never hurt nobody!
Yep, I actually totally BRIBE my son every time we do a photo session. I just had a baby last year so we were doing sessions pretty much every 3 months. And when you are paying a lot of money and you only have a certain amount of time, you want those pictures to be awesome and you want to be prepared.
So the day of the photos, I would tell my son that if he gave the photographer nice smiles, and did everything we asked him to, we would stop at Target on the way home and get him a toy. And I totally did every time. Best 10$ I ever spent, and it worked like a charm!
6. Schedule the photo session at the best time.
Be careful with this. You know exactly when your kid is the happiest. Schedule the pictures then. I made the mistake to take pictures at a time close to lunch and nap once just because she didn’t have any other openings and my baby girl was a mess. I normally get so many good pictures that I don’t know how to pick the ones I want but this time, I didn’t get that many I liked. It was for a Valentines Day Shoot.
If you can get your child to nap before the pictures, do it. Unless its first thing in the morning. Kids are usually at their best after a nap.
8. Pack and prepare the day before.
Take a bag and pack all the outfits for you, your hubby and your child. Organize it nice and neat so that its easy to find. Make sure to bring snacks for your child (pack those the day before as well). Pack a brush, accessories, etc. If you wait for the day of, between getting yourself ready, the kid ready, the stuff, the snacks, etc….. You will for sure forget something. Make the check already the day before and put it in the bag. Pack any props you are taking etc. As you pack, you may realize you need to run to the store to buy something. Its better to forget the day before and you still have time to do it. The photographers have very busy schedules and they usually give you a certain amount of time and they stick to it. If you are late, you are usually out of luck. So don’t waste time doing things you can get done the day before.
I hope these tips help you, they helped me tons for both maternity photo shoots.
By the way, if you want some pointers on dressing to look fab during pregnancy, I wrote a really short and awesome post on Pregnancy Fashion. All the pregos that do My Fit Mom-To-Be Workouts tell me they love the tips on there especially to help them look “not as big” during some of the months. You will love it, click here.
I hope you enjoy your pregnancy, there is nothing I love more than helping women enjoy and have an amazing pregnancy. It really is just the most amazing experience, if you have the right mind set. I also, wrote a really great post on that, here is the link: From Grumpy To Happy During Pregnancy
I also really really really hope you are exercising or maybe are now motivated to start exercising during your pregnancy. It really does make all the difference in the world. Its the best investment in time and energy you can do during your pregnancy. You will be so happy you did postpartum when its like 80% easier to lose all the baby weight.
If you do my Fit Mom-To-Be Workouts, I love being your coach during this very important time. If you don’t, be sure to stay tuned on Pinterest and My new FACEBOOK PAGE just for you while you are pregnant. Tons of great resources and fun stuff for you to check out during your pregnancy.